April is Child Abuse/Neglect Prevention Month here in Missouri and across the country. This year’s theme focuses on, “Building Community, Building Hope.” Many communities around the state are gearing up for events and activities scheduled throughout the month to emphasize the critical importance of preventing child abuse and neglect and keeping children safe. Go Blue Day for Missouri’s kids is scheduled for Friday, April 7. Please join us along with thousands of Missourians on that day in wearing blue to promote the safety and well being of Missouri’s kids and the importance of child abuse prevention. Prevention begins with each of us – in our homes, neighborhoods, communities, schools, churches and wherever children and families congregate.
To learn how to support meaningful and measurable change in children’s well-being, and how to engage families and communities in the prevention of child maltreatment, please explore the following resources:
- Visit the National Child Abuse Prevention Month website;
- Download the 2017 Prevention Resource Guide: Building Community, Building Hope and learn how to strengthen families using the protective factors;
- Download, post and share the 2017 Child Abuse Prevention Month Flyer;
- Join us for the state child abuse/neglect prevention conference sponsored by CTF March 23 & 24, 2017, Jefferson City as a kickoff to April.
- Access twenty-three helpful tip sheets—in English and Spanish—that can be distributed to parents and caregivers;
- Bookmark prevention month activity calendars—one each for prevention programs, parents, and community partners—and discover ways to integrate activities related to the protective factors into Child Abuse Prevention Month activities;
- View the prevention video gallery, which features videos from national & state child abuse prevention partners (including Missouri CTF); Share these videos via email and social media to raise awareness among your networks;
- Download and post Child Abuse Prevention Month widgets to your website to help promote the initiative;
- Spread the word with prevention focused outreach materials, which provides traditional and new media strategies to help your organization or community raise awareness about events, reach potential supporters, and build relationships;
- Participate in Go Blue Day, Friday, April 7 by wearing something blue (the official color of prevention) to support Missouri’s kids;
- Participate in the 2nd Annual CTF Go Blue Day Wellness Walk, in Jefferson City, Friday April 7, 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (open to all state employees). Register here.
- Attend the Missouri KidsFirst Annual Pinwheels for Prevention Ceremony at the Missouri State Capitol (south lawn), Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.;
- Attend or volunteer for child abuse prevention month activities and events in your community;
- Follow Missouri CTF on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with April’s prevention activities and news;
- Order CTF’s free parent education and prevention materials to use in April and throughout the year;
- Make a tax-deductible donation to the Children’s Trust Fund or other non-profit that prevents child maltreatment and builds strong families.