Background and History
Missouri Prevention Partners (MPP) is a collaboration of statewide public and private nonprofit organizations that all have an interest in and statewide perspective of child abuse and its prevention.
The group began organizing in 2006, and through quarterly meetings, has established its vision, mission and guiding principles. Bylaws have been adopted and a strategic plan developed to define the agenda for child abuse prevention in Missouri and to move that agenda forward.
Missouri places families and children first so they thrive at home and in their community.
The Missouri Prevention Partners provide leadership to reduce child abuse and neglect by strengthening families and communities.
1. Every child should be safe, nurtured and supported in their family; every family should be safe, nurtured and supported in their community.
2. Diverse family structures, values and cultures shall be honored and respected.
3. Children and families benefit most from long-term commitment and investment in outcome-oriented and evidenced-based prevention strategies.
4. Every caregiver, family and community should have access to resources to strengthen families.
5. All systems at all levels should be accountable to the families, children and communities they serve.
6. Everyone should take responsibility and be engaged in efforts to prevent child abuse and neglect.
7. Every child and family benefits from collaborative approaches and coordinated services that incorporate partnerships among public and private agencies.
8. All families have strengths and benefit from strength-based practices.
9. Diverse cultural representation and participation is highly valued and actively sought in all Missouri Prevention Partners efforts and activities.
Goal 1: Administration & Leadership
Create an infrastructure to enhance and suport child abuse prevention in Missouri.
Goal 2: Public Education & Outreach
Increase public awareness and involvement in child abuse prevention efforts in Missouri.
Goal 3: Prevention Programming
Promote the identification and use of evidence-based practices and promising approaches.
Goal 4: Resource Development
Develop flexible and sustainable funding mechanisms.
Goal 5: Influencing Policy & Legislation
Advocate for policy and legislative changes to prevent child abuse and neglect.
Missouri Children’s Trust Fund (CTF)
Citizens for Missouri’s Children (CMC)
Missouri Department of Corrections (DOC)
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS)
Missouri Department of Mental Health (DMH)
Missouri Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Missouri Department of Social Services (DSS)
Green Hills Community Action
Humane Society of Missouri
John Britton Associates
Kids Hope United
Missouri Child Care Resource and Referral Network
Missouri Coalition of Children’s Agencies (MCCA)
Missouri Head Start – State Collaboration Office
Missouri Juvenile Justice Association (MJJA)
Child Welfare League of America
Missouri Kids First/Prevent Child Abuse Missouri (PCAM)
Practical Parenting Partnership (PPP)
Parents as Teachers National Center (PATNC)
Extension Services, University of Missouri-Columbia
DRW2 Group – Coaching and Consulting