The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has teamed with other child safety organizations to bring awareness about crib safety to new parents. The group has created a set of safety guidelines to prevent injuries and death in cribs, bassinets and play yards. You can find a new crib safety video here.
Follow these guidelines to create a safe sleep environment for your baby, and make sure all caregivers know them:
- Place infants to sleep on their backs
- Use a firm, tight-fitting mattress
- Never use extra padding, blankets or pillows under baby
- Remove pillows or thick comforters
- Do not use positioning devices – they are not necessary and can be deadly
- Regularly check cribs for loose, missing or broken parts or slats
- Do not try to fix a broken crib
- Place cribs or playpens away from windows and window covering cords to avoid fall and strangulation hazards
- Place baby monitor cords away from cribs or playpens to avoid strangulation
Read more about the new crib safety campaign, here.